Thursday, March 05, 2009

Ladybug City II


After the ladybugs ate all their eggs we decided we should find them some aphids. I thought the rose bush outside would be a good source, but it must have recently been sprayed with pesticides. After I picked Kaylis up from school we went to a plant nursery and I asked the lady if she had any plants with aphids on them. She shot daggers at me and made some snoody remark that I "could look" if I wanted but I probably wouldn't find any. And we didn't, so I called another nursery from my car and this guy had a good laugh at my expense (but at least he wasn't snoody) and told me that there's no way they'd keep a plant with aphids on it because it would affect the other plants. He did however recommend a different nursery and said they might have something there because the plants were kept outside and more susceptible. But I couldn't find the nursery - so we went to Lowe's instead and low and behold outside their plant department they had a flat of daisies and one of those plants was COVERED in aphids. You should have seen us dancing over that. As we take it to the checkout Kaylis is marveling over the aphids and the checkout lady looked confused. Then Kaylis told her what we were doing and she was happy for us. Ha.

So here we are with a big plant and no place to put it. We head to target and get a big plastic bin to put the plant in and keep the bugs from taking over my house. But this morning the thought dawned on me that the plant probably needed more sun and air then it could get in a plastic box, so Kaylis and I had a heart to heart about nature and letting things go - and we put the plant outside our door. Where we'll continue to observe the ladybugs that stay, pray for eggs that hatch, and one day watch all our babies fly off.





No comments: